Frequently Asked Questions

The Federal Housing Administration is an agency of the federal government. The FHA insures private loans issued for new and existing housing, and for approved programs for home repairs. The FHA was created by Congress in 1934, and in 1965 became part of the Department of Housing and Urban Development's Office of Housing. The FHA's mission in the present day includes offering to help borrowers get the amounts they qualify for, and to assist lenders by reducing the risk of issuing loans. To get situation-specific information and advice on how you might be able to take advantage of an FHA-insured loan, you'll need to contact an FHA lender to get started. You can search for an FHA lender near you at HUD
The FHA will ask for a lot of information, which will go on your loan application. Be sure to ask your loan officer for a complete list of required data and give yourself plenty of time to gather the information. You will need to provide the FHA with a wide range of details; this includes all the addresses where you have lived in the previous two years, your employers name and addresses for the last two years, plus the amount of your Gross Monthly Salary. If you have had multiple jobs over the last twenty-four months, you will need your W2s for all of them. You will also need your income tax forms submitted for the last two years. If you don't have copies of your W2s, you should contact your employers for assistance. If you need replacement copies of your income tax returns, go to IRS website and follow the instructions on how to order replacements. A tax transcript is free of charge, and copies of actual tax returns cost thirty-nine dollars
Veterans are required to submit the DD Form 214 along with their FHA application paperwork. The DD Form 214 is the official record of discharge from the Armed Forces. If you have recently separated, retired or otherwise left active duty and don't have your DD Form 214, you will need to request a copy from either your final out-processing base (call the orderly room, records office or outbound assignments / out-processing office), or request the form electronically from the Department of Defense. Click here to learn how to request a copy of your DD Form 214, or contact your nearest Veteran's Administration office. Once received, submit the DD Form 214 in the same package with your FHA application.
The 203(b) fixed rate loan is the most popular FHA home loan, especially among first time home buyers. If you have never purchased a home before, you may wish to consider the 203(b) FHA loan. It keeps your down payment to a minimum. Your closing costs may also be reduced. The 203(b) FHA loan will finance up to ninety-seven percent of your loan. There are some debt-to-income rations you'll be required to adhere to, but the 203(b) does not have a minimum income requirement. If you are unsure about your debt-to-income ratio, check with a financial planner or discuss your bills with Dave to see how you can maximize your standing with credit reporting agencies. Your FHA loan experience will be greatly enhanced by doing so.
FHA loans do not come directly from the FHA. Instead, the FHA is in the business of guaranteeing loans-reducing the risk to lenders and offering increased borrowing power to qualified applicants. This power includes getting better interest rates thanks to the FHA home loan insurance. FHA loans are particularly helpful for people just out of college who want a home, but have little or no money saved for a down payment. The FHA loan is also a good bet for newly married couples, and also those who have had credit problems in the past because of foreclosure or bankruptcy. You can get a wealth of information from Dave Jacobson, but the first thing you should do is to check out your credit rating and get a list of lending limits for FHA loans in your area. These limits vary from state to state, and may even vary by county depending on where you live. Dave can help you with this also.
There are many factors you will need to pre-qualify for an FHA loan. You should be able to demonstrate employability, job stability and reliability. This reliability includes holding a steady job for at least two years with the same company or employer and increasing or at least consistent income. Any foreclosures on your record should be at least three years old. The same applies for bankruptcy. The FHA loan bottom line-make sure you can demonstrate that you have been a good risk for two years or more and you will have a much better chance at pre-qualifying for an FHA loan.


Have a question not asked here?  Ask away!

© 2020 by David Jacobson. All rights reserved.
Website Design by
Thomas McKee Website Design & SEO Solutions Ltd.